Old June 4th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Denny Denny is offline

Default Water burns!

Mike, out in the workshop I still have the original Fridgidaire 'radar
oven' I bought in 1971, with my GM discount at the time... The
magnetron was hammered on day and night by a herd of kids who are now
middle aged... I can only estimate how many times that magnetron has
had the filament cycled...
Assume ten times a day probably low times 26 years = ~96,000
cycles!!!

The pot metal latch on the door broke about 10 years back and it was
relegated to shop use because some kid might fry his eyeballs if he
doesn't understand he has to hold the door shut against the spring
with one hand and hit the power switch with the other and the solenoid
safety lock will then keep the door from springing open while the
magnetron is on...
The other reason is that it didn't match the decor of the granite and
stainless steel kitchen in the retirement house...
It still has power to spare and heats a cup of tea water in half the
time of the expensive new microwave...

denny - k8do