Old June 5th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Radio reception, fm,am

Awl--

I posted some time ago regarding the tuning circuitry of car radios vs. home
radios/stereos.
I had long noticed much superior tuning in car radios over my home radios.
Several apparently knowledgeable people on a few radio ngs confirmed this,
even explained it, altho this went over my head.

So based on this assumption of tuning superiority, I went to *great lengths*
to remove a very nice 6-speaker stereo from a car I'm junking (1990 Mazda
929S--nice car, too, seen better days), to hook up in my shop, so I can
listen to some decent radio, instead of brain-killing Reality TV.

*Finally* accomplished said task, and, big big bummer, the reception of the
car radio in my shop/garage is even worse than my home radios/stereos!
Yet, this *same radio*, when I used to park the car this very same garage,
had great reception.

Whazzup????

And, in general, what can I do about this reception problem, since it
appears that a car stereo is not the immediate solution?
I have a 100 foot tree outside, and I'm thinking of climbing it and putting
some kind of antenna at the top.
If I did this, what would be the best thing to put up there, for as much
reception as I can get: fm, am, TV, whatever else is oscillating up there.

What is the problem here, and in much of the NYC area?. No valleys, and I
am even on a bit of a hill, about 10 mi. from Manhattan.
What are my options? Preferably simple/cheap options, but at this point,
I'll try pretty much anything.

When I was a kid (in NYC), I calculated wavelengths, etc, and had antennas
"cut to size" for the various FM stations I was listening to, in all kinds
of orientations. Musta had about 30 antennas taped up in my room. It was
hilarious, BUT I got good reception, and LOTS of stations!
Those same dipole-type antennas are near-useless here.

TIA.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs