Old June 5th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Roadie Roadie is offline

Default Thunder & lightning

On Jun 4, 3:46 am, ish wrote:
Was wondering if it is safe to listen to Shortwave radio without
terribly long external antenna during such time. I actually like the
crackle pops along with the fading audio. Would I damage the radio by
doing this? Radio is Sony 2010 with about 10 ft. long antenna slung
near the window.

TIA

It's impossible to know beforehand whether you would damage the radio
because there are so many variables. Just be safe and turn the radio
off, disconnect the external antennna and collapse the whip.