Old June 6th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Andrew VK3BFA Andrew VK3BFA is offline

Default Poor fm,am radio reception--solutions?

On Jun 6, 5:13 am, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
Awl-- (also posted to rra.antenna)

I had long noticed much superior tuning in car radios over my home radios.
Several apparently knowledgeable people on a few radio ngs confirmed this,
even explained it, altho this went over my head.

*Finally* accomplished said task, and, big big bummer, the reception of the
car radio in my shop/garage is even worse than my home radios/stereos!
Yet, this *same radio*, when I used to park the car this very same garage,
had great reception.

Whazzup????

Your on the right track OK - dont give up. Car radios ARE better,
their designed to operate on crappy aerials in a noisy environment.
BUT, they are optimised for the car type aerial - wont go into the
physics. As an starting point,can you plug in a car antenna, even if
it needs getting an extension lead to get it outside and into clear
space? - the leads are available from car stereo places, come with all
the correct plugs/sockets, and (usually) some extra capacitance to
match into the car antenna.....

Let us know how you get on, its a worthwhile project....

Andrew VK3BFA.