Old June 5th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller Bob Miller is offline

Default Thunder & lightning

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 00:46:42 -0700, ?ish
wrote:

Was wondering if it is safe to listen to Shortwave radio without
terribly long external antenna during such time. I actually like the
crackle pops along with the fading audio. Would I damage the radio by
doing this? Radio is Sony 2010 with about 10 ft. long antenna slung
near the window.

TIA

With an indoor antenna of that length, I wouldn't worry about it.
There are too many other things for the lightning to hit. If a storm
is particularly bad, you may want to disconnect the AC cord from your
2010 and run on batteries, but that's about it.

bob
k5qwg