Old June 6th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Poor fm,am radio reception--solutions?

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 6, 5:13 am, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
Awl-- (also posted to rra.antenna)

I had long noticed much superior tuning in car radios over my home radios.
Several apparently knowledgeable people on a few radio ngs confirmed this,
even explained it, altho this went over my head.

*Finally* accomplished said task, and, big big bummer, the reception of
the
car radio in my shop/garage is even worse than my home radios/stereos!
Yet, this *same radio*, when I used to park the car this very same garage,
had great reception.

Whazzup????

Your on the right track OK - dont give up. Car radios ARE better,
their designed to operate on crappy aerials in a noisy environment.
BUT, they are optimised for the car type aerial - wont go into the
physics. As an starting point,can you plug in a car antenna, even if
it needs getting an extension lead to get it outside and into clear
space? - the leads are available from car stereo places, come with all
the correct plugs/sockets, and (usually) some extra capacitance to
match into the car antenna.....

Let us know how you get on, its a worthwhile project....

---------------------------------

It is funny how a car antenna is vertical, when most dipoles are horizontal.
Anyway, I have a car antenna floating around I could use.
In the meantime, I dropped two conductor wire from my top window, about 40
feet up.
THAT oughtta get some kind of signal. Unfortunately, it's mostly vertical,
would like to get some of it horizontal--assuming that would help.

Discussions off-line are pointing me to a good log-periodic antenna, on top
of a big-assed tree, rotatable.

If *that* don't work, I guess I'm just gonna have to start whistling old
tunes.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Andrew VK3BFA.