Old June 7th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Doug Smith W9WI[_2_] Doug Smith W9WI[_2_] is offline

Default Poor fm,am radio reception--solutions?

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 22:07:39 -0400, Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
It is funny how a car antenna is vertical, when most dipoles are horizontal.

It would be even funnier to see a horizontally-polarized antenna on a
cargrin! (actually, I have one - for the 144MHz ham radio band)

Nearly all AM/MW stations use vertical transmitting antennas, not that
matching polarization is particularly important in that band.

In the U.S., the vast majority of FM stations use both
horizontal *and* vertical polarization (I think they call that "mixed
polarization" overseas) so a vertically-polarized car antenna works just
fine.

THAT oughtta get some kind of signal. Unfortunately, it's mostly vertical,
would like to get some of it horizontal--assuming that would help.

I don't think it'll make much difference.