Old June 8th 07, 01:40 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Percy Picacity Percy Picacity is offline

Default Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

Highland Ham wrote in
:

Don't know if the OP was from the UK, but UK night rates are of
the order of half the day rate (though you have to pay a higher
day rate to qualify!), but only for 7 hours. I do wonder if it
would be possible now to set up a battery/inverter/load sharing
system sufficiently cheaply to lower the cost of daytime use
significantly. Probably illegal though.

================================
Why would it be illegal storing energy ?

No problem with a different circuit, but more so if you want to
connect to the supply. In fact people with wind etc. generators can
get permission to sell "green" electricity back to the grid
(automatic metering). It would be somehow satisfying buying night
time electricity from the suppliers and sell it back to them at a
profit.

I can't imagine that it
is illegal charging the batteries of a Golf buggy , at night
tariff. I am sure any golf club would do that to reduce their
electricity bill.

BTW ,living in the UK myself ,night tariff indeed normally starts
at about 2300 hrs and finishes at 0600 hrs the following morning .
At our place switching happens with an electro-mechanical timer
with a spring mechanism such that following an outage the timer
keeps running. Eventually that spring has to be re-wound by the
electricity supplier ,but that hasn't happened the past 15
years........so the timer at our place now comes into operation
around 2320 hrs ,but then of course also day tariff starts about
half an hour later at 0620 the following morning.

Just to get back on topic (nearly), my meter is controlled from a
radio signal (?198kHz) which can move the 7 hours about within a
longer window.

--
Percy Picacity