Old June 10th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Mindraker Mindraker is offline

Default Public has almost no access to new police radios

"joe friday" wrote in message

ha ah a ..... it's kinda opposite what you see around here. I admit
that I do live in the north side ( upscale ) part of my town , but
this town is nationally famous for having the 2nd highest national
poverty rate ( 2nd to Cleveland , Ohio and this is California ) , it
has the highest car theft rate in the west , and the highest amount
of people out of work and not looking for employment ( about 237,000
people unemployed and not looking for work ) . more than 57% of the
town is latino and 17% asian , the rest mixed including whites.
it has an estimated 170,000 illegal immigrants living here as well.

the cops are thick as flies down in the less fortunate parts of town
but nearly invisible up here in the north side. I will say that I'm
impressed with them tho .... as I called them about someone in a
neighbor's yard a few weeks ago ( my neighbor that had lost his keys
and was trying to break into his own house ) ... and in less than 3
minutes there were 3 patrol cars and a helicopter here on scene.
people in the less fortunate parts of town complain they can't get a
cop to come for 1 to 2 hours and that ' we " get special treatment
..... perhaps I'm inclined to agree with those complaints as I
certainly got fast service when I called. this town has over 16,000
registered gang bangers and thousands more " associates " ....
and the local cops have waged " war " on gangs with full out
efforts to get rid of them.

cops get shot and killed around here quite frequently ( usually by
bank robbers and gang bangers ) and they have a very messy job in
these parts of the country. I wouldn't trade places with one of them
, no matter what the pay they receive. they earn every penny of it
....... the hard way.

I live in the upscale part of town, too, but even then, I can't get a cop
even when I need one, unless they are raising funds. I had a pair of cops
come TO MY DOOR with the "fraternal order of police"-crap. I once waited
FOUR HOURS for a stray dog call, and finally brought the dog to the local
park ranger on foot (I can't drive). My friend had his van broken into, and
the answer from the police was "we're too busy".
Where do you live? I live in Asheville, NC.