Old June 10th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Edwin Johnson Edwin Johnson is offline

Default Mystery Antenna?

On 2007-06-10, John Smith I wrote:
Somehow, this particular antenna has never come to my attention.

Anyone ever construct/operate one? Performance?

http://www.w5gi.com/mysteryantenna.htm

John, I built one several years ago, mostly out of curiosity, primarily to
use as a portable antenna when I went to state parks and that sort of thing.
I've used it at field day with success. It tunes nicely on all bands 80m-10m
with my MFJ tuner. I did put a ferrite bead balun between the ladder line
feed and the coax to the rig. Apparently John (W5GI) touts this as having 6
lobes on 20m instead of the g5rv 4. I've never tried to model it.

It was never actually used any length of time here at the home and have no
A/B comparisons so will not make any claims, which are generally meaningless
anyway. hi I was talking to a ham the other night who built one and had two
other regular dipoles he compared it with and said the 'mystery' was much
better except in one circumstance, probably a null in the lobes in that
direction. Obviously, I can't verify his claim.

Anyway was fun to build, but may not perform any better than a good dipole
fed with ladder line and a good transmatch. I use mine for multiband
operation when camping, etc. so fullfills that need.

73 ...Edwin, KD5ZLB
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return."-da Vinci http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/edwinljohnson