Old June 12th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Danny Richardson Danny Richardson is offline

Default New Antenna Worth Trying ?

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:10:26 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Uniden 996 scanner and would really like to pick up some marine
traffic from Boston Harbor.
Live about 20 miles due west of the harbor.

Have a Scantenna antenna which I think is "pretty good". It's up in my
attic.

It's omni directional, and broadband over the typical scanner ranges
(supposedly).

I can often pick up coast guard conversations, but very rarely (but
ooccassionally) ship traffic.

Do you think a dedicated, very directional, and tuned to the marine freq's
would help, or am I just too far away ?

Any thoughts on, or antenna suggestions would be most appreciated.
No idea what to buy, if you feel it's worth a try ?

Very interested in the AIS data being transmitted by ships at around 162
MHz, as well as general marine stuff.

BTW: really surprised that I hear the CG at all. I would have thought that
their antennas would be "focused" out to sea, with any propagation going the
other way (towards me) minimized to maximize the effectiveness of their
radiated power in the direction that it's needed.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,
Bob

I suggest you get your antenna out of the attic and put it outside as
high up as you can get it. For VHF height is everything.

Danny, K6MHE