Old June 12th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Dave Ferguson[_2_] Dave Ferguson[_2_] is offline

Default BCD396T Piece of junk or am I missing something?

Maybe the squelch wasn't set correctly. Still don't know what it does
exactly. I read most people set it to either 1 or 2. If there's 15
settings for it, why would most people set it to either 1 or 2?
shouldn't be somehwere average around 7, so one can go both ways?

Thanks

I turn the squelch down on mine to where I hear static. Then turn it up
slightly where you don't hear the static. At this setting you should hear
any sounds above the static level. If you don't want to hear weak signals
from far away turn the squelch up more and you will only pick up the
stronger signals.

I have the Pro-96 handeld from Radio Shack and I am thoroughly happy with
it. The base station is the Pro-2096. If you get one of these I recommend
getting Don Starr's Win96 software to program these guys:
http://www.starrsoft.com/ . This, with a programming cable from RS helps
programming the radio a breeze.

You should start seeing the Pro-96 going on sale because there is an updated
radio coming out soon to replace it. I suspect that radios will be selling
for around $350-$400 to get rid of stock.

Dave