Old June 14th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SWL-2010 SWL-2010 is offline

Default For an Apartment Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna -consider- The "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 13, 1:42 pm, "SWLO-2010" wrote:
I think it came with the Tecsun R9700DX, but I cant remember for sure.

It's a 30' wire black insulated wire with a plastic alligator clip on

one
end.
I've never used it much.

One evening recently, I decided to open the window, and drop the wire

out of
of the small space between the screen and the window frame. I clipped

the
end to a variety of portable receivers.

Sony-7600GR
Grundig-YB-400
RS DX-398
RS DX-202
Kaito KA-1103
Kaito KA-1107
Tecsun R-9700DX
Tecsun-PL-230

The results were impressive. It gave the portables stronger receive,

better
clarity, and improved sensitivity.

The 1107 strugged with selectivity, but the rest performed well.
I have used that a few more times, when the weather is cool enough to

open
the window, and turn off the A/C.
I'm anxious to use it this fall.

SWLO-2010 - What 'works' . . . WORKS ! ~ RHF

-IF- you have two Windows try running/routing
the Wire across/between the two Windows
so the the Wire Antenna Element is Horizontal
vice Vertical - Sometimes this will help to
reduce the local Noise pick-up of the Antenna.

I would love to be able to do that, but each room has only one window, and
I'm in a high rise with no balcony.
You know, if a guy had an apt with a balcony, he could really come up with
some good configurations.
But, since I don't, I just have to do what they told me to do many years ago
in the Army...Adapt!

Here are a few 'other' simple Wire Antenna Ideas to use
with 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios in an Apartment :

* Using an External LongWire {Random Wire} Antenna
with the Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://www.google.com/group/rec.radi...3b1b7b54401814
.
* "Three Ways to Use the 'Portable Wire Antenna' (PWA)"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/306
Works well with the Sony ICF-2010 and will work well with the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR too; and many other 'portable' SW Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1728
How-To-Use the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA) with many
'portable' AM/FM Shorwave Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/3046

READ - Low Cost {Basic} Portable Shortwave Listening
(SWL) Antenna Ideas For On The Go !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a3384f07142a77
* BUILD-YOUR-OWN - HOW-TO-MAKE-A : "Tune-A-Stick"
Whip Antenna Coupler for External Shortwave Antenna.
* Two Things that most 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave
Radios Could Use for "Improved" Shortwave Radio
Listening (SWL)
* The 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio-to-Antenna
Connector Box "The GIZMOE !"

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a+rhf&start=0&
hl=en&
.