Old June 15th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Robert11 Robert11 is offline

Default From OP: Vertical Or Yagi ? New Antenna Worth Trying ?

Hi,

Thanks for link to the Shakespeare Vertical Antenna.

Know very little about antennas, but was wondering. Is this vertical whip ,
or any vertical, a better bet to try as compared to perhaps a "simple Yagi
for the Marine bands ? Why ?

This Shakespeare vertical whip is described as: It's a 6dB collinear phased
5/8-wave antenna of 8-foot nominal length.

Again, I'm about 25 miles due west of Boston Harbor, but would sure like to
at least try to pick up some Marine VHF comms from the harbor. Hard for me
now at my age to try a whole bunch of antennas, so would like to limit it to
what you experts feel would offer the best "chance".

Thanks again,
Bob
--------------------------------------

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

I have a Uniden 996 scanner and would really like to pick up some marine
traffic from Boston Harbor.
Live about 20 miles due west of the harbor.

snip

No idea what to buy, if you feel it's worth a try ?

snip

Thoughts ?

I googled for marine band colinear and got this near the top:
http://buyreliant.com/marine/5102.htm It's way cheaper than some
name-brand
competitors, like Shalespeare, but you're not going to be stressing it on
boat, so give it a try on your rooftop or chimney.