Old June 15th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default From OP: Vertical Or Yagi ? New Antenna Worth Trying ?

On Jun 15, 7:54 am, wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 05:59:55 -0700, Danny Richardson

wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:01:34 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for link to the Shakespeare Vertical Antenna.

Know very little about antennas, but was wondering. Is this vertical whip ,
or any vertical, a better bet to try as compared to perhaps a "simple Yagi
for the Marine bands ? Why ?

This Shakespeare vertical whip is described as: It's a 6dB collinear phased
5/8-wave antenna of 8-foot nominal length.

Again, I'm about 25 miles due west of Boston Harbor, but would sure like to
at least try to pick up some Marine VHF comms from the harbor. Hard for me
now at my age to try a whole bunch of antennas, so would like to limit it to
what you experts feel would offer the best "chance".
Thanks again,
Bob
--------------------------------------

A 5/8-wave collinear has 3dBd gain.

Danny

However, a 5/8 is only 48inches, that antenna is a stacked 5/8s
colinear and at 8ft 6db would be correct.

Allison

A stacked dual 5/8 collinear will give appx 3dbd..
A single 5/8 GP will do appx 3.3 dbi give or take..
I recommend a small yagi myself.. It will eat the verticals
for lunch if both are in the attic. Course, you have to
point it though..
MK