Old June 15th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
onealjn onealjn is offline

Default Best FM receiver for my purposes

Hello All,

I am looking for a portable FM receiver that well perform well. My
ideal radio:

1. Portable. Does not have to be pocket-able, but that would be great.
I've seen the Grundig g5 and that size would be fine. Smaller is
better of course, but performance more important. I use a Tivoli PAL
at the moment, and would like something is not smaller, in a better
form factor for portability.

2. Able to pull a signal in a concrete building, basement, manage
interference. I currently lug a Tivoli PAL around work. I love the
PAL's sound. It pulls signals in our building better than any other
radio (junk) I have access to here. But at times, it does have a hard
time. In the basement and in the lab, it can have a lot of noise in
the signal as well as a weak signal. If I touch the radio, clear and
loud sound. As I move around a lot at work, I can't bother with a
better antenna than a whip. Electronics in the lab and my computer can
cause problems for the PAL.

3. Pull a weak signal near a strong one. I listen to many college,
classical, NPR stations on the left side of the dial. Increasingly,
our market is becoming more dense on the FM band. The PAL normally
does a great job (see above).

4. AM / MW is not important; neither is SW. In the future I am looking
to try to find a radio to tune in some international programs I miss
from Europe, but FM is the only band I am interested in in this post.

Thank you for all of your help,

Jason