Old June 16th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Ring Tom Ring is offline

Default From OP: Vertical Or Yagi ? New Antenna Worth Trying ?

Nick wrote:
I was under the impression that a 1/4 wave was approx 0 dBd, a
5/8ths was approx 3dBd,
and a collinear dual 5/8ths was approaching 6dBd
Nick

5/8ths isn't what it's advertised it to be. I'd explain it, but I have
to finish watching SG1 and then F1 practice session 2.

It has to do with "ground planes" and the fact that they are mostly
fictional in this case. And that the second 5/8ths doesn't have the
needed "ground plane".

I'm sure someone else will explain fully.

tom
K0TAR