Old June 17th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Default Gaussian antenna planar form

On 6 Jun, 18:00, Mike Coslo wrote:
(Richard Harrison) wrote in news:28667-46639927-
:

Jimmy D wrote:
"Wouldn`t it be nice if Art did the comparison?"

Yes. I thought a Gaussian was a 17-sided polygon.

heptakaidecagon?

73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Newsgroup members,
Thought I would give you another example to laugh at.
Looking at the 17th eddition of the ARRL Antenna handbook
page 11-18 I came across an optimised 20 metre antenna,
The shortest boom length was 16 feet for 3 element
and the spec was 20db F/B, SWR 2:1 and going for
maximum gain which amateurs seem to think is every
thing
The ARRL antenna achieved 7.5 dbi max
My antenna which is of GAUSSIAN form was also a 3 element
and achieved an average of 30 F/B and 20 db worst case.
SWR was 2:1 ofcourse ranging from 1.34 :1 worst case.
Gain figures were 11.45,11.3 and 10.9 dbi
The main lobe was 62 deg BW and TOA 14 degrees.
I didn't use the 16 foot boom length as the starting
point but held the beam to the required 3 elements.
So instead of using the ARRL 16 foot boom I used a
8 foot boom. Again I forced the antenna into a planar
mode so a reasonable comparison could be made.
So have at it. Point out the areas of specs that
the antenna fails and have a laugh at the same time.
I'll leave you to find the deliberate error if
there is one so you can have your moment in the sun.
Art