Old June 19th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Kelley Jim Kelley is offline

Default ARISS antenna selection?

Hi Steve -

The guys here ran a successful contact a few months ago. They used
their cubesat satellite setup. Here's a link to an article about it.

http://www.eng.uci.edu/node/1220

If you send me an email, I can put you in touch with the head of the
project who would be happy to supply all the info.

73, ac6xg

Steve Reinhardt wrote:

Jerry Martes wrote:

"Steve Reinhardt" wrote in
message ...

I have read a circularly polarized Yagi is appropriate for ARISS
communications. Is there a vendor that offers a crossed design? Or,
better still, is there a construction article that I can refer to?

What are you using for this type of communication?

I'm trying to set up a contact for my son's school class.

73,
Steve
W1KF

Hi Steve

Have you contacted the AMSAT guys (www.amsat.org)? I assume you
are aware of the need for gain required for you particular station.
I thought a linearly polarized 3 or 4 element Yagi was adequate.
So, I wonder if the complexity of making a crossed Yagi CP is
justified when that will have only 3 dB improvement with that same
boom length.

Jerry

Jerry,

All news to me, so far. The ARISS website suggested circular
polarization and up to 100W. AMSAT is saying 3 elements and an HT. Quite
a variation...

Thanks for the hints, and I'll try listening for a while after I
build something!

73,
Steve
W1KF