Old June 19th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Chuck Chuck is offline

Default End-feeding dipoles

Hello Richard,

Richard Clark wrote:
It is merely an off-center dipole that hasn't come out of the closet.
The wiring in your shack supplies that other half, and supports the
common mode current/voltage.

Interesting concept. Not technically a
dipole, though. But similarly true of
less-than-perfect, center-fed dipoles, no?

The complaints made here are far from sparse.

I've seen no complaints here at all
about matching difficulties. Even
posters who had used the antenna omitted
matching difficulties from their
reported experiences.

On the other hand,
those who don't notice, don't complain. I will bet you have one
outlet in your home with inverted neutral/hot and a floating ground.
Does it bother how your lamp works?

I understand. But I really hoped to talk
about matching difficulties and find
myself awash in discussions of potential
common mode currents, about which I have
no truck. ;-)

Some folks have common mode complaints, others don't.

Sure. And I'd extend that to real,
center-fed dipoles with less than
perfect transmission line/antenna
symmetry. All a matter of degree?

For wires less than 5/8ths (end-to-end), you have to work (or screw
up) damned hard to gain or lose half a dB from the typical lobe
geometry. I will be generous and call it a whole dB, but that is
barely the width of your S-meter's needle. There are other things to
worry about in life,

Agreed.

like that outlet with a floating ground.
In that
vein, you stand to come out ahead if you seriously examine your
shack's quality of ground for all applications.

I'd do it immediately if it would help
explain the alleged matching
difficulties. ;-)

73,