Old June 20th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chuck Harris Chuck Harris is offline

Default Where d'ya find carborundum powder?

Chuck Harris wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Carborundum was the initial product mined by the company we now know
as 3M. Back
then the company was known as Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing.
They were the
first to find a reliable way of putting carefully graded and sized
carborundum
granules on a piece of waterproof paper. In essence, they invented
"sandpaper".

-Chuck

Most vintage radio resources credit the Carborundum Company, in Niagra
Falls, NY
with the product. Here is a link:

http://www.chemheritage.org/classroo...m/acheson.html

I'm pretty sure my detector assemblies are labeled as being made by the
same company.

Some further checking revealed:

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...6IMhCOrrrr Q-

So much for that link! It's the third link down from googleing 3M carborundum