Old June 21st 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
w9gb w9gb is offline

Default Kenwood TS-2000 / TS-480SAT vs. ICOM 746PRO/IC 7000?

"Gary KW4Z" wrote in message
I have to replace a rig that was stolen and I'm down to four radios to
choose from. I haven't been able to get to a dealer yet to set down and
actually try them out but have narrowed my choices down to four with
preference of those down to two. If anyone owns some or all of the radios
mentioned here I would greatly appreciate your input and experience with
their operation. The two that I am closest to getting is:

Kenwood TS-2000 or the ICOM IC-746PRO. I do realize that the 746PRO does
not have 440MHz like the TS-2000. I like the IC7000 but such a small
radio
that they fit so much into it with using so few knobs and buttons on front
that I'm concerned about the learning curve with that one. I'm naturally
concerned about durability, receive quality and the ability to reduce
interference and pull out the weak signals in a crowd or busy band.

Right now the Icom 746PRO has the incentives on it's side with not only
rebates, coupons and a free Power Supply.

I appreciate your input concerning these radios.

I skipped all four of these radios -- and will buy the Elecraft K3.
The Dayton interest by the "Big 4" was very interesting to observe their
representatives (and reactions) -- features and capabilities at this price
point -- they do not have -- and are not designing for.

A colleague bought the TS-2000 -- have not heard reports of his assessment
yet.

gb