Old June 22nd 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Default Software Defined Radio DSP choice / sizing

wrote:
I'm working on a SDR design using the AD9874 to
digitize the IF producing 280 Ksamples/sec and
am trying to size the DSP.

snip

2) Anyone have a specific DSP they favored for
this type of application? Keep in mind I
need the DSP to be in a package I can handle
using home equipment. It would be nice if the
DSP was flexible enough so that it can be used
for general purpose things such as controlling
the keyboard and LCD instead of adding a
microcontroller.

Can your design live with fewer MIPS and a lower sample
rate (downconvert the IF)? I'm working on a design
using a old DSP sound card which will talk to my mcu in
the radio; the card has a TSM320 DSP, a great (free)
toolchain, lots of sample code, and no need to fab a
pcb. Of course its resources are an order of magnitude
less than you've specified but it will still do filtering
and demodulation.

If this approach is of any use, I'll send you the toolchain
and docs

Regards,

Michael