Old June 27th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Edward L. Dowdy Edward L. Dowdy is offline

Default Kenwood TS-2000 / TS-480SAT vs. ICOM 746PRO/IC 7000?

I think the diode/blown finals problem was addressed early on in the
production cycle of the 746PRO. You might check the dates of those reviews
on eHam. I've been running a 480 for a couple years now and really like it.
It has no extra filters. I would like to try a 746PRO, but I don't have the
budget for two rigs and don't want to give up the 480SAT. I have heard a few
7000s on the air and with the right mic (SM-20) they sound pretty good.

73,
Ed KA9EES

I had been leaning to a 746pro, but got scared off by the eHam reviews
on blown diodes & finals and whatnot.

By the way, the Astron 25-amp switching power supply is very quiet and
a nice match for the 7000.

The 7000 is a good buy at $1299, but I notice the current $200 coupon
expires on June 30th, if you're interested in the radio.

bob
k5qwg