Old July 4th 07, 05:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default AM electromagnetic waves: 20 KHz modulation frequency on an astronomically-low carrier frequency

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:

(b) In the second scenario, the 2nd harmonic is effectively present
BEFORE modulation, so it gets modulated along with the fundamental. In
this case, the lower frequencies of sidebands of the 2nd harmonic will
be 'normal', and the signal will sound normal.

I believe that will be the likely scenario for any AM transmitter
which uses plate modulation or a similar "high level modulation"
system. If the RF finals are running in a single-ended configuration
(rather than push-pull) even the unmodulated carrier is likely to have
a significant amount of second-harmonic distortion in it... and I'd
think that this would tend to grow worse as the audio peaks push the
finals up towards their maximum output power.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO