Old July 7th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Randy or Sherry Guttery Randy or Sherry Guttery is offline

Default Best Tube-Type Transceiver?

Beech Creek wrote:

I am interested in opinions as to the best tube-type transceiver ever
produced and why?

It'd probably be nice if you'd define "transceiver"... otherwise there
is no contest... The AN/FRR-60 / AN/FRT-39/40 "set" wins hands down.
But then at a couple tons (literally)... and requiring over 60KW
primary power... not exactly your typical "base unit"...

Oh, why? let's see... 2 - 32Mc continuous tuning...
SSB (suppressed carrier)
SSB (with carrier)
DSB (suppressed carrier)
DSB (with carrier)
FSK
FAX
CW
MCW
Pulse modulation
Phase modulation

Receiver "stuff"...
Diversity: frequency or space. (this is the "super" FRR-60 - with two
full receivers paired and interconnected for active diversity).
Can handle 70db signal variation without AGC - 100 db with AGC
usable signal recovery to 150db range
AFC can track signal "drift" at least to 1KC at a slew rate of 10cps/sec.
Active noise limiting
Tunable notch filter +/- 8khz (works at IF frequency rather than audio).

Transmitter "stuff"...

10KW PEP (FRT-39) or 40KW PEP (FRT-40)
Same operating modes as receiver, including independant DSB (ISB) with
or without carrier.
Frequency accuracy to one part in 10 to the 8th. per day. (what drift?).

I'd hate to pay the power bill on the beast - but what a rig!!!!
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com