Old July 7th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Freeplays Outperform SONY 7600GR

On Jul 6, 11:09 am, Sky Captain wrote:
On Jul 6, 6:44 am, "Frank" wrote:

Your talking about the "AM Broadcast" band only, not shortwave.

"Sky Captain" wrote in message

oups.com...

Incredible but true. At 6 PM ET my SONY 7600GR could barely pick up
Detroit's WJR-760, but my Freeplay Lifeline delivered a crisp, clear
audio. I'm visiting Gambier, Ohio, about 200 miles from Detroit. A
few minutes ago my Freeplay Plus easily delivered Toronto's CHWO-740
while that station was inaudible on the SONY. Even SW stations sound
better on the Freeplays. BTW, these were side by side tests.

It's been been my experience that Freeplay makes rugged, great-
sounding radios. I realize the 7600GR has a number of enthusiasts,
but I've owned both the G and GR versions of this set and I'm quite a
bit underwhelmed.- Hide quoted text -

On shortwave the 7600GR has digital frequency readout, double
conversion, and PLL. However, both Freeplay models tend to be
sensitive to SW signals and feature much larger speakers, which
produce a more pleasant sound. This is especially true of the
Freeplay Plus, my everyday listening shortwave radio.- Hide quoted text -

Sky Captain,

While the "Freeplay Plus" Radio may do very well
or even better than the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio
on the AM/MW Band.

It's Analog Mechanical Tuning would simply not be
as easy to use as the Sony's Digital Tuning for
Shortwave Listening (SWL).

* Two Shortwave Bands covering 3.0 to 18.1 MHz :
Would require a 'fine tuning touch' to pick-out many
of the Broadcasters that you could easily Key-in on
the Sony by using the Digital Frequency Display.

Naturally the "Freeplay Plus" Radio with a larger
speaker would be the better Radio to 'Listen To'.
But the Sony with a set of self-powered Speakers
would easily be it equal or better : Especially for
FM Stereo Radio Listening.

* "Freeplay Plus" Radio
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/wind-up...lus-radio.aspx
http://www.rwonline.com/reference-ro...freeplay.shtml
http://www.amazon.com/Freeplay-Corpo.../dp/B0000YCFCC
http://www.freeplayenergy.com/sectio...lus_manual.pdf

Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=1627439
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...7231&langId=-1

RigPix Info for the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio
http://www.rigpix.com/sony/sony_icfsw7600gr.htm

eHAM Reviews of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1534

Medium Wave Circle and Radio Netherlands
Review of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio
http://www.mwcircle.org/res-receiver-sonysw7600gr.htm

i would simply like using the sony more
because it offers greater utility ~ RHF