Old July 7th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Ron in Radio Heaven Ron in Radio Heaven is offline

Default Best Tube-Type Transceiver?

Randy or Sherry Guttery wrote:
one of the most world-worthy was the KWM-2/A.

Yes, an incredible radio. When I was in the Air National Guard
at the Charlotte airport we had 2 complete KWM-2/A stations.
One with a 30-L1 amp on a full size 80 meter rombic and the
other with a 30-S1 on a tri-band on about 30 ft of tower.
They wouldn't let us have much tower since we were located
right next to the main runway.
The big rombic worked great during the week , but on Guard
drill weekends the field that it was over became a parking lot,
when it was full of cars it got real hard to get the antenna to tune.

I hope to have a KWM-2/A in my shack some day.

If anyone in the group is active on AM maybe we can meet on
the air soon. I bought a Johnson Viking 2 at the Salisbury hamfest
just a few hours ago.
This was about the best Salisbury fest they've had for several years.
There's was a good bit of BA gear there, and got to see a bunch
of old friends.
Besides the Viking I also bought a Diawa CN-800H cross needle
SWR/Watt meter and a couple of Waters coax switches.
I looked all over the fest for a Dow-Key relay so I can hook up
the Viking and my NC-183D for the Am station.

73 and happy 07-07-07

Ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/