Old July 7th 07, 03:35 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Polymath Polymath is offline

Default Putting the Ham back into Ham Radio

I wonder if we who are the Usenet-frequenting Radio Hams might somehow get
together to sort out the dreadful mess that has been created in no small
part by the self-interest of those who control the RSCB?

Might we all act together to produce a series of soggy "biscuits" that could
then be assembled Lego-like fashion to produce any rig or test equipment?
This would have a number of benefits, not the least of which would be the
bankrupting of the cancerous emporia whose off-the-shelf Cheque-Book (CB)
radios are not only discouraging the homebrew engineering that is the
essence of _REAL_ Ham Radio but also encouraging an altogether undesirable
element to regard themselves as of our ranks. Once the advertising income
from those dead emporia ceased to flow, then the national societies might
get back to supporting technical excellence instead of Complete Bull****
(CB) as they do now?

(And, no, I'm not thinking in terms of the facile hardware exercises that
bring on the disease known as the gangrenous degeneration that is the M3/CB
Fools' Licence scheme; facile because once a so-called "licence" has been
granted the hardware diversion is largely forgotten.)

Anybody interested in mutual development of some soggy biscuits is invited
to reply to the author via these fora.