Old July 8th 07, 09:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Doug Doug is offline

Default Best Tube-Type Transceiver?

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 23:45:23 -0500, "Beech Creek"
wrote:

I am interested in opinions as to the best tube-type transceiver ever
produced and why?

I know there will be lots of different opinions but I am interested in the
reasons behind these opinions.

Thanks!

Cal Barton
WB5CYS

I'd agree that the Collins KWM2 transceiver is about the best for SSB
service but it came at a high price. However, it was mediocre at best
for CW service.

A transceiver that I believe actually sold in greater numbers than the
KWM2 series was the lowly Heathkit HW101. I know that they sold over
20,000 of them.

For it's price, if you can get one that was well assembled, you can do
no better. The HW101 was almost as stable as the KWM2, was FAR better
on CW with true carrier insertion, sidetone, vox that worked well and
an optional CW filter.

It's more expensive big brother was the Heathkit SB101 or SB102, the
poor mans copy of the Collins KWM2.

Another favorite of mine was the National NCX-5. The first mass
produced ham rig with a digital readout, albeit a mechanical one, that
was actually accurate. It had good audio, good filtering and was
reliable (with the exception of the weird T/R relay that was always
energized in receive mode). It also had a decent sense of style and
used sweep tubes but ran them at a realistic limit. With its companion
NCL2000 2KW linear, it's a real rock cruncher of a station.

73,
Doug/WA1TUT