Old July 11th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Barry Barry is offline

Default Best Tube-Type Transceiver?

On Jul 7, 8:12 am, (Michael Black) wrote:
Randy or Sherry Guttery ) writes: Beech Creek wrote:

I am interested in opinions as to the best tube-type transceiver ever
produced and why?

It'd probably be nice if you'd define "transceiver"... otherwise there
is no contest... The AN/FRR-60 / AN/FRT-39/40 "set" wins hands down.
But then at a couple tons (literally)... and requiring over 60KW
primary power... not exactly your typical "base unit"...

Gee, I was thinking something like a Gonset Communicator.

Not really, but yes "transceiver" is a very wide open term. It can
go from those transmitter and receivers in one box with very little
in common, to an actual SSB transceiver that the poster likely is
asking about.

But I was going to point out that in retrospect (and if we limit
the discussion to amateur radio SSB transceivers), the time span
is about fifteen years or so. It was the late fifties when such
a thing arrived on the market, and it was over by the early seventies,
with solid state taking over. Given it's at least thirty years since
then, it is a finite selection to start with.

Michael VE2BVW

What about the Swan 350C and/or 500C? I never owned one, but they
would certainly qualify as a tube transceiver.

Barry - N4BUQ