Old July 15th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Connecting ground wire to ground rod

(Richard Harrison) wrote in news:13824-
:

W-A-one-R-K-T wrote:
"I thought about using some of that Butternut conductive grease that we
use on our antennas."

It probably wouldn`t hurt, but isn`t required as tarnish compounds
formed naturally are sufficiently conductive for grounding purposes.

I don't know what "Butternut conductive grease" contains, but if it is
intended for aluminium, does that imply it is suitable for copper?

Such compounds often contain a grease to exclude air (oxygen) and water,
and a metal powder to break through metal oxides within the joint. If in
doubt about the compatibility of the metal powder with the metals being
joined, good quality marine grease will achieve much of the benefit
without the risk of galvanic corrosion worsened by the joint compound.

Back to the specific application to lightning conductors or AC protective
earth systems, they are usually copper conductors and copper clad earth
rods. Mechanical clamps, crimp lugs, and purpose specific welding are the
usual methods.

BTW, there are a number of reasons to avoid galvanised earth electrodes
though you will see them in use. In this part of the world galvanised
earth stakes or galvanised water pipe are used, but tests show them less
consistent than copper clad steel rods.

Owen