Old July 16th 07, 05:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Default How I would like to change the cell phone industry [was AM electromagnetic waves: 20 KHz modulation frequency on an astronomically-low carrier frequency]

DTC hath wroth:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
If you're thinking of impulse noise, you're mostly correct. However,
there are plenty of other sources of AM noise available. For example,
the typical VHF aircraft radio requires substantial filtering of the
magneto to avoid hash. Same with any onboard motor. If you've ever
tried to install a TV (VSB is a form of AM) in a vehicle, you'll also
find that ignition and motor noise can be a problem.

Dang it...my memory is slipping. What did Motorola call their noise
filtering circuit on their old low band Motracs. Extenders[tm]? As I recall
it was a simple noise blanker.

"Extender". It was a 2nd almost identical receiver, tuned to a nearby
empty frequency. If there was any impulse (ignition) noise, both
receivers would detect the pulses. The 2nd (Extender) receiver would
block the IF signal in the main receiver for the duration of the
pulse. This resulted in a "hole" in the receive IF and audio, but it
was far less noticeable than if the pulse were allowed to be heard.
The tricky part of the design was getting the delays nearly identical
in the two receivers. It also made the 80D/140D/Motrac/Motran radios
rather huge and heavy. Extenders were considered a "standard option"
on most Low Band (30-50Mhz) radios as this is where the ignition noise
is the worst.

The more generic term "noise blanker" applies to this scheme, as well
as a mess of others that detect in a single receiver or blank in the
IF or audio. GE decided that "extender" was a good name for their
mobile repeater, and called it a "mobile extender" or more commonly
just "extender".
http://www.mbay.net/~wb6nvh/chpradio.htm
Egads. I'm cleaning house and found a large box of 40 year old
Motrash control heads and cables. Want some junk?

There was also a scheme to eliminate ignition noise that involved
running a wire to the points on the distributor. The assumption was
that there was a substantial delay between when the points opened, and
when the spark jumped in the spark plug. This allowed the receiver to
be blanked before the noise pulse arrived, which really improved the
noise blanker performance. I was working on the design when marketing
decided that it should tilt at other windmills. Only a few prototypes
were built, were never patented or produced, and worked really quite
well. Cheaper too. That was all just fine because cars were begining
to use electronic ignition systems, which didn't have easily
accessible ignition points.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D