Old July 16th 07, 06:31 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Default How I would like to change the cell phone industry [was AM electromagnetic waves: 20 KHz modulation frequency on an astronomically-low carrier frequency]

DTC hath wroth:

It sounds like you might have a causal peripheral understanding of
communications theory and stumbled upon some obscure radio propagation
concept and want to apply that obscure concept to to change the whole way
we think of communications. Ponder for a moment why said obscure concept
remained obscure.

I could go on and on and pick each of your comments apart...but it would be
a waste of time.

Quite the contrary. Taking apart rants and speculation from the
lunatic fringe is great fun. After one has mastered science and
technology, it offers an additional challenge.

Haven't you ever listened to the old Art Bell show? He collected
callers claiming alien visitations, abductions, flying saucers,
conspiracies, ghosts, amazing technology, and all kinds of other
observed phenomenon best attributable to a general lack of sanity and
education. He would treat them quite seriously, drawing out
additional details that seem to fascinate his large and diverse
audience. My guess(tm) is that reality and accurate science are
fundamentally boring, and that speculation, lunacy and fantasy are
suitable diversions. Some of his callers held prestigious academic or
government positions, and apparently wanted to how far off the deep
end they could go. I recognized one or two. To properly present a
pseudoscientific hoax requires a good understanding of the science and
technology, and not just a word salad of buzzwords.

I must confess that I enjoy doing the same thing, as witnessed by this
ummm.... discussion. Lacking a suitable solution to the general lack
of technical sanity problem, I find it far more interesting to become
part of the problem. For example, my rants on being a werewolf:
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/nooze/werewolf.txt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell
In 1998, Bell was named as recipient of the less-than-prestigious
Snuffed Candle Award. The Council for Media Integrity cited Bell
"for encouraging credulity, presenting pseudoscience as genuine,
and contributing to the public's lack of understanding of the
methods of scientific inquiry."

That's why it's called "the magic of radio". When the magic wears
off, what's left is boring and mundane science and physics.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D