Old July 17th 07, 03:36 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless
Brenda Ann Brenda Ann is offline

Default How I would like to change the cell phone industry [was AM electromagnetic waves: 20 KHz modulation frequency on an astronomically-low carrier frequency]

"NotMe" wrote in message

"Radium" wrote in message
oups.com...
| On Jul 15, 6:58 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
|
| Radium hath wroth:
|
| The AM audio cause by lightning is so boring.
| All you get are clicks
| and pops.
|
| Oh no. It's much better than that. You get snap, crackle, pop,
| crash, hiss, zap, buzz, braaaaaap, and other noises, all to the
| accompanyment of loud thunder and the smell of ozone. It can also
| make the fur stand up on your back.
|
| One thing that I do like are the sharp sawtooth wave patterns that
| show up on FM video receivers whenever lightning strikes. FM video
| receivers receive Y [luminance] signals present on FM radio waves.
| Electrical disturbances affect the FM video receiver causing those
| beautifaul zapping and buzzing sawtooth patterns on the screen.

The only FM on standard TV is the audio. Video is vestigial sideband AM.

BTW my grand daughter had that figured out by the time she was 12 y.o.

Analog satellite still uses FM, but there is very little of that left. 30MHz
wide channels. Think there used to be one version of SECAM (in France, IIRC)
that used FM video. That's gone now, too.