Old July 17th 07, 04:07 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless
Bob Myers Bob Myers is offline

Default How I would like to change the cell phone industry [was AM electromagnetic waves: 20 KHz modulation frequency on an astronomically-low carrier frequency]

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

Have you ever attended a meeting or event about something you really
don't care about? The lady friend has dragged me to horse shows, dog
shows, cat shows, and various cultural events, where it was a major
accomplishment for me to stay awake. Yet to her, it was the highlight
of excitement and of great interest. In other words, science and
technology may be interesting to you and I, but to many, it's just a
big boring waste of their time.

Oh, sure, and I couldn't agree more. I place the blame for
that squarely on our education system, which - unless you
have amazingly good luck in getting the right teacher - will
present "science" as an incredibly dull collection of arcane
facts and formulas to be memorized, and not an interesting,
exciting process full of wonders. The root of that, of course,
is just that the "science" teachers most often don't really know
what "science" is all about in the first place.

Wrong. Science fiction has mutated into social adventure, space
opera, and historical fantasy. I haven't seen any really technical
science fiction in many years.

Spider Robinson. Joe Haldeman. Larry Niven. Jerry
Pournelle. Ben Bova. Greg Egan. Stephen Baxter.
Arthur C. Clarke, who, thank the FSM, is still with us and writing.
Sure, there's an AWFUL lot of crap out there - SF, like everything else,
obey's Sturgeon's Law - but the good stuff is still being written.
You just have to look for it.

Bob M.