Old July 17th 07, 07:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Default How I would like to change the cell phone industry [was AM electromagnetic waves: 20 KHz modulation frequency on an astronomically-low carrier frequency]

"Bob Myers" hath wroth:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .

When, pray tell, have you ever seen an "FM video receiver"?
Bob M.

I have one of those FM video receivers. It's my (ancient) Wavetek
3000b communications service monitor, which displays all kinds of
nifty light shows and patterns for FM. I often tune it to the WX
channel and watch the modulation on the scope display. It's kinda
hypnotic without the accompanying audio and sometimes an improvement
over what's available on TV. I guess it's TV for radio geeks.

Somehow, though, I don't think that's quite what
our boy Radium was talking about...
Bob M.

If it's not what Mr Radium is using, it's close. Haven't you watched
the typical pre-1971 science fiction movie? The arrival of any alien
object or visitor is initially detected and displayed on a large CRT,
usually with an unstable Lissajous pattern or trivialized radar
simulation plus the requisite shrill noises and sound effects. After
seeing that demonstration, I concluded that if I was going to
personally greet the Galactic Ambassador from AlGore, I would need a
similar alien detector or communicator. The closest approximation I
could find was a communications service monitor. In order to monitor
it continuously, I decided that a 15 year career in land mobile
communications was required. I would leave it running continuously,
waiting for the voices from outer space. Unfortunately, the
ambassador is apparently distracted and I have moved on to other
professions. I still own a service monitor and still turn it on
waiting for the display to mark the arrival of the alien visitors.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D