Old June 7th 07, 11:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Randy or Sherry Guttery Randy or Sherry Guttery is offline

Default Stewart-Warner reactance dimmer

John Byrns wrote:

The problem with this explanation is that the two secondaries appear to
be connected so that they "buck" one another. If that is the actual
case then the reactance of the two series connected secondary windings
wouldn't change much with transformer saturation.

Yes, I agree - I think its more of the coupling increasing and
decreasing causing more or less bucking between the windings. The
decrease in inductance (at 60 cycle) would not be near as influential as
the loss of coupling... Then again - as you noted - physical layout
could have very significant impact on both / either... hmmmm...

It is an interesting application. Didn't GE have something like this in
some of their consoles? I've never had one in for service - but it seems
I recall reading something about them.

best regards...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com