Old June 8th 07, 12:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Randy or Sherry Guttery Randy or Sherry Guttery is offline

Default Stewart-Warner reactance dimmer

John Byrns wrote:

Just another shot from the hip, it would be interesting to know what the
actual disposition of the primary and secondary windings on the the
transformer core is?

Oh good heavens, John, how reckless - shooting from the hip... I'm
proud of you! ;-)

We had a circuit that was similar in a piece of RADAR gear - IIRC the
transformer was pretty standard looking (but then it's been 30+ years).
I think the key here is the the phasing of the two secondaries - with
the core approaching saturation - the mutual coupling would decrease (as
would the inductance itself) and since the phasing is opposed - both
tend to incease the bulb's current...

Am I missing something?
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com