Old June 8th 07, 09:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Brenda Ann Brenda Ann is offline

Default wierd reostat

"Buck Frobisher" wrote in message
"Randy or Sherry Guttery" wrote in message
Brenda Ann wrote:

Variable tapped coil, rather than tuned. I've built crystal sets when I
was a kid that used a very crude form of this, with a fixed cap across
it made from wax paper and aluminum foil, and a slider made of brass
that was screwed onto a board and just scraped across the coil's
windings to tune the stations.

Wound on a Quaker Oats box (can?) by chance?

toilet paper roll!

Yep. Back then toilet paper rolls were a lot tougher (and we still shellaced
them).