Old July 8th 07, 10:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Tom Mills Tom Mills is offline

Default FM One tube transmitter

Brian is using the term correctly, but Star grounds are not used in RF
equipment.
See link below. The shortest path to ground should be used.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/glossary/ind...Tm/Star_Ground
--
Tom Mills

"Brian McAllister" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:18:15 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
om...
Despite the rather senseless carping (c'mon boys, cut the crap!), this
is
cool! Thanks for posting it!

I agree. An interesting post. And now for my usual dumb questions :-)

1. Have you built one (or more) and if so, could we see a photo?

2. What do you mean by "star grounding technique?"

Phil Nelson

Star grounding is a VHF/UHF grounding technique. VHF and higher have to
have VERY short lead dress, including grounding. Star grounding is
basically
taking the grounds from each pin that requires a ground or a bypass to the
closest point possible on the chassis. This makes the socket and
grounds/bypasses resemble a star.

At the audio manufacturer where I worked, star grounding meant to take
all grounds to a single point on the chassis, thus having ground wires
radiate like the points on a star. This avoided ground currents
flowing through the chassis.
Brian McAllister

Sarasota, Florida

email bkm at oldtech dot net