Old July 15th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
William Sommerwerck[_2_] William Sommerwerck[_2_] is offline

Default I remember!

But it -is- interesting (and dare I say, ironic) that you feel they
need to use "utter vulgarity" and "outrageous tastelessness"
to satirize immorality. I still contend that is purely gratuitous
and a few more steps down the slippery slope.

Potentially. But it's obvious (to me, anyway) that "South Park" is largely
serious about what it does. I think most viewers agree, and don't see the
program as _promoting_ gratuitous tastelessness or vulgarity. It's so over
the top, anyway, that it would be hard to "improve" on it, even if one
wanted to.

In fairness to your point of view, there's an early episode -- "Pink Eye" --
involving the conversion of people to zombies after being injected with a
particular condiment (I forget which). It's hilariously gross, merely for
the sake of being gross. Then, of course, there was the gratuitous weekly
death of Kenny, which was eventually -- uh -- killed, due to its no longer
being particularly funny -- and their running out of ideas of how to off
him.

There was an episode in which the S word is spoken (though bleeped) several
hundred times, resulting in the appearance of a highly destructive demon.
After that, "South Park" no longer uses that word. (Correct me if I'm wrong
on this.) I don't think the creators were being hypocritical or self-serving
in suggesting that this word is not needed in everyday speech.

"South Park" is one of those TV programs that makes you glad freedom of
speech is protected in this country.

PS: Stan Freberg was a master at offending people with G-rated material.