Old July 19th 07, 10:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Best Tube-Type Transceiver?

Bryan wrote:

Irv Finkleman wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

reseauplate wrote:

Failing that, converting the beasts to a transmitting tube of some
sort seems the only way to go,as sweep tubes are a thing of the past.
Apparently they take a lot of different internals from audio types,
which are the market today.

Yes, I grew up watching folks changing old surplus military gear to
take cheap commercial sweep tubes. Now I am watching people converting
cheap commercial gear to take surplus military sweep tubes....
--scott

I converted my old Hallicrafters SR150 from sweep tubes (6DQ6's if I

recall)
to 6146s. It is still around the local ham community and running fine.

The
nice things about the 6146's was that they are small enough to fit in

almost
any PA subchassis, and all I had to do was rewire the sockets.

Sure wish I still had it. I let it go about 25 years ago!

Irv VE6BP

TV sweep tubes don't like to be run linear. I recall seeing a 16 x 6LQ6
amplifier in the Handbook (or was it QST?) eons ago. I shudder at the
thought of the IMD3 response! 6146s are a bit better than sweep tubes. My
favorite tube in terms of linearity would be the 807/1625, albeit a bit
taller than the others.

I rebuilt an RCA TTU-25B 25 KW UHF TV transmitter about 18 years
ago. It had 17 6146 tubes in the video modulator. What a pain in the
ass to match 16 6146 tubes for the output stage.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida