Old July 25th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jack Schmidling Jack Schmidling is offline

Default Smokey 807

A friend gave me two 807's for my exciter project. The first one I
tried turned into an 866 and just glowed blue and had a mini lightning
show inside.

The second one looks like it has a coating of soot on the inside or at
least a smoky glass sort of look. It is so neat and evenly distributed
that it is possible that it was made that way on purpose. I have never
seen another tube that looked like that and no one I have asked has either.

So, the question is: could this be intentional or is it indicative of a
tube problem?

I can only seem to get about 10 watts out with about 30 input and wonder
if there could be some connection.

I just ordered a NOS from Antique Radio but thought I would ask anyway.

Pics of this project are at http://schmidling.com/radio.com

Thanks,

js