Old July 25th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default Eavesdropper Trapped Dipole Antenna -vice- Alpha Delta DX-Ultra Shortwave Antenna

In article .com,
RHF wrote:

On Jul 23, 3:36 pm, RHF wrote:
On Jul 22, 3:59 pm, D Peter Maus wrote:

RHF wrote:
How Do They Compare For Shortwave Listening (SWL) ?

Eavesdropper-C Trapped Dipole Antenna
* Overall Length about 43 Feet (13.1 Metres).
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0680.html
http://www.antennasupermarket.com/EAVESDROPPER.htm
http://www.durhamradio.com/s/product...at=1845&page=1

Any one using a Eavesdropper Trapped Dipole Antenna ?
[ For Shortwave Listening (SWL) ]

Or for that matter an Alpha Delta DX-Ultra Shortwave Antenna ?
* Overall Length about 80 Feet (25 Metres).
http://www.durhamradio.com/s/product...at=1845&page=1
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html
http://www.alphadeltacom.com/pg1.htm

Anyone used both for Shortwave Listening (SWL) ?

Anyone tried them both Side-by-Side ?
[ For Shortwave Listening (SWL) ]
.
.
. .

= = = On Jul 21, 2:48 pm, RHF wrote:
On Jul 21, 1:25 pm, dxAce wrote:

I finally got my old Eavesdropper dipole antenna up in the air again
in
preparation for the 2007/2008 DX season. I've not had it installed
since about
1990 or so. Seemed to be OK in preliminary tests.
Tomorrow, I'll try to finish the coax installation into the house.
I have it oriented 150/330 degrees, main interest was to hopefully
get better
South American reception.
dxAce
Michigan
USA
- oriented 150/330 degrees

DX Ace - Is this 150* Tip-to-Tip 330* -or-
150* & 330* perpendicular to the Sides ? ~ RHF

Eavesdropper-C Trapped Dipole Antenna
* Overall Length about 43 Feet (13.1
Metres).http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...0.htmlhttp://w
ww.ant...

Any one else using a Eavesdropper Trapped Dipole Antenna ?

Or for that matter an Alpha Delta DX-Ultra Shortwave Antenna ?
* Overall Length about 80 Feet (25
Metres).http://www.durhamradio.com/s/product...d=44945&cat=18
45&pag...

Anyone used both ?

Anyone tried them both Side-by-Side ?
.
.
. .

I have both an Eavesdropper and a DX Ultra.

The Eavesdropper is setup in an inverted V configuration and is
virtually omnidirectional. It's got a small footprint. Takes up little
real estate. It's also very quiet.

The DX Ultra is very large. And correctly set up according to A-D
recommendations, it's also very tall, and visible over the second story
of my house.

Both need to be erected far from the house, to eliminate noise
sources.

DX Ultra is very sensitive. Not quite as quiet as the
Eavesdropper....likely due more to the smaller capture area of the
Eavesdropper than anything else. The DX Ultra also has a lower
practical frequency limit than the Eavesdropper. Although you don't
really notice it so much on MW because of the huge powers at play.

I've been able to overload my receivers on the DX Ultra, but not
the Eavesdropper.

If you have the real estate, the DX Ultra is the better choice for
most listening. If not, the Eavesdropper is fine.- Hide quoted text -

DPM - Thank You for the Interesting and Informative
personal assessment of both of these high quality
Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Antennas.

Any other Eavesdropper Trapped Dipole Antenna or
Alpha Delta DX-Ultra Shortwave Antenna owner users
out-there with comments of info ? -cause-

i want to know - iane ~ RHF
.
.

OK - So here is another Question :

Given a small urban-suburban Lot with Limited Space.

Mounting one of these two Dipoles with the Center at
the Corner of the Lot with each of the Arms extended
alone adjacent sides {Right Angle} and Sloping down.

Would this Antenna now function more or less like :

1 - A single Inverted "V" Dipole Antenna ?

2 - Two Sloper Antennas set at Right-Angles to each other ?

What would your choice be # 1 or # 2 ?

pondering the imponderable - iane ~ RHF

Slow learner.

--