Old July 28th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Your antenna is working great

Bob Bob wrote in
:

angles when it comes to making gain assertions. Where you hang an
antenna will never be the same environment as where the manufacturer
tested theirs..

Quite an assumption Bob, that manufacturers perform meaningful tests on
their antennas and quote 3D gain.

Whilst there are no doubt some reputable antenna manufacturers, there are
plenty that resemble snake oil salesmen.

Not that it was a salesman, but I read the article describing the little
2.4GHz 2el quad, and the author (who also has a VK1 call, so must be an RF
neighbour of mine) noted that the noise increased when he pointed it at the
Sun, implying it was sufficiently sensitive to hear Sun noise. In
disbelief, I ran the numbers, and he would be more than 160dB shy of
reliably detecting sun noise... so there was some other explanation for his
observation.

Owen