Old July 28th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Uncle Peter Uncle Peter is offline

Default 20 Meter SSB Transceiver?

"Michael Black" wrote in message
"Uncle Peter" ) writes:
wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 01:43:09 -0700, Clayton wrote:
A different way of dual use, without the bilateral stages, is to have

a balanced mixer, the filter, IF strip, and then a balanced mixer. By
using broadband mixers, the first stage is either the receiver mixer,
or the balanced modulator for the transmitter. Then the balanced mixer
at the output of the IF stage is the product detector on receive, and
the conversion mixer on the transmit. The signals all go down the
strip in the same direction, and relatively little switching is needed.

I did that with a small solid state transceiver for 160 and 80 meters. The
mixers were DBMs. I think I wrote up the bilateral IF for Ham Radio,
but never got around to publishing the entire project..

One of those ARRL SSB manuals had such a transceiver, nice and small,
albeit with transistors.

I think that may have been the rig by Benjamin Vester (if my memory hasn't
messed up his name!) That was a cute project that always fascinated me.
At the time I was in my early teens and didn't have the skills to duplicate
it. Late 50s or early 60s IIRC.

Though, I seem to recall there was a transceiver made out of subminiature
tubes in the late fifties or early sixties. Unless I'm confusing it
with something else, it was in the Bill Orr Handbook.

I'd like to look that one up for a read if your ever recall where it
appeared!!

Michael VE2BVW

73

Pete k1zjh