Old July 29th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Uncle Peter Uncle Peter is offline

Default microwave oven power supply

"MarkAren" wrote in message
ups.com...
This may be a daft question, but is Marketing name for the product
"Inverter" ?

Doing a quick search on eBay, several ovens pop up with this name, one
description was "Panasonic Inverter Microwave Oven 1100W" - looks like
a 110V product to me.

I have never heard of a 12 or 24v microwave oven, 1100W at 24v = 45
amps which seems excessive even as a load for a large truck.

Regards,

Mark
On Jul 25, 12:42 pm, "Jimmie D" wrote:
I picked up a couple of inverter powered microwave ovens at the goodwill
and
I was wondering if these power suppies can be used wih tube amps and
such.
Also would like schematic data if I could so I could see if I can modify
them for other voltages besides thosed they are designed.

Jimmie

Conventional microwaves control the power by ON/OFF cycling of
the oven. For example, 1/2 power might be 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off.
The inverter technology controls the actual klystron operating voltage
to set the power level, and the food is heated continously. I'd suspect
the variable power feature has horrendous artifacts on the supply
voltage making it completely unsuitable for use by hams.