Old July 30th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default 20 Meter SSB Transceiver?

On Jul 28, 9:48 am, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 00:17:04 GMT, Yukio YANO wrote:
Clayton wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for some plans for a simple(beginners) 20 Meter SSB Tube
Transceiver and was wondering if somebody had any good plans or web
site they could point me to?

Any help would be greatly Appreciated
Thank You

Why not re-work a 10 Meter(CB) SSB), Re-Tune the Rx. Front-end for 20
Meters, Use the 10 meter Tx as an Exciter to drive a 20 Meter Final.

This way 85% of the design work has already been done and tested !

I've done that, the intermod is terrible in most CB rigs. After
scrapping most of the RX frontend was it brought to the decent level.

Are you out to prove a point, or want a working rig ?? Tubes have been
obsolete for fifty years !! Why else would you attempt to build a
Sideband rig using parts that have been out of production for several
generations. If you are going to wind coils and Rf transformers why not
wind them for transistor stages. Transistor Rigs (CB) are CHEAP. Tube
type rigs have long been relegated to the Scrap Heap.

First it's under 40 years since the last of the new production tube
rigs.

The HW-101 (OK, it had a couple semiconductors in it but I won't hold
it against it, it's still a "tube rig") was still for sale by Heathkit
up till 1980 or so.

That'd be 27 years ago.

Tim.