Old August 1st 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Systematic calls for upgraded to extra in 3-land?

Actually you will get a new 2x2 call sign beginning with A. Probably AB3
something. The 2x2 beginning with A is the only Extra block of call signs
available for sequential issue at this time.

The 1x2s and 2x1s are now only available as vanity calls as the sequential
issue of these stopped sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s. They were
"used up" at that time. The 1x3 call signs were "used up" in the mid 1990s
and so also only available as vanity calls.

As an Extra, you are eligible for vanity calls in the following blocks:

EXCLUSONS applying to all the groups below with 2 letter prefixes: Second
letter of H, L, or P is not allowed as these are reserved to Hawaii (and
other Pacific territories), Alaska, and Puerto Rico (and other Carribean
territories)

1x2 beginning with W, K, or N

2x1 beginning with W, K, N, or AA thru AL

2x2 beginning with AA thru AL. These you can also get as sequentially
assigned calls but if you want a specific one you'll have to go the vanity
route. Also you cannot request calls that are later in the block than the
most recently issued sequential call.

2x2 beginning with W, or K. Note that the latter part of the K block was
never issued and is reserved for later use but you can get one from the
front end of the block prior to the reserve point. At this time the entire
N 2x2 block is also reserved.

1x3 beginning with W, K, or N

2x3 beginning with W or K. The latter part of the K block is being used for
sequential issue so you can only request class from the section prior to the
most recently issued sequential call. Note that the entire N 2x3 block is
reserved for later use.

Dee, N8UZE

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
ups.com...
I upgraded from Advanced to Extra last Sunday. Woo-hoo! I felt like
the last advanced left on the planet :-).

I figured, that since there are available 1x2 and 2x1 calls in 3-land,
that if I checked the "assign new systematic call" I would get one of
them.

But now looking at the license database websites, I see new extras in
3-land getting calls like KB3PLB, in the same sequence of the 2x3
block as all the Novices. (Oops, I mean Technicians.)

Did I make a mistake? Is the only way to get anything other than a
2x3, is to pay for a vanity call?

Tim. (at the moment, KA0BTD/AE).